Biscuits à la Cuiller/Ladyfingers
Recipe type: Cake
Serves: 40 Ladyfingers
- 1 cup (115 gr.) flour
- a pinch of salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ⅔ cup (150 gr.) sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla OR
- 1 tsp. orange water
- confectioners'' sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven at 300 F. (150 C.)
- Butter and flour 2 baking sheets or cover with sulfurized paper and butter and flour paper.
- Sift twice the flour and salt.
- Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar with an electric beater or wire whisk until the mixture is light and forms a ribbon when whisk or beater is lifted.
- Whip the whites until very stiff, adding the rest of the sugar.
- It is preferable to use a copper bowl and wire whisk and to beat by hand.
- With a spatula very gently fold flour and egg whites alternately into egg yolks; first half of the flour, then ½ of the egg whites, then flour, then egg whites.
- Pipe the mixture through a pastry bag and a ½ inch tube on the baking sheets.
- The ladyfingers should be about 3½ inches long by 1½ inches wide.
- Sprinkle the tops with confectioners' sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until firm on the outside and soft inside.
- Cool on a cake rack.
- Can be kept 2 weeks in an airtight container or can be frozen.