Another childhood favorite. It’s like a classic pot roast but the flavor comes from caramelized celery. My great grandmother taught my mother how to make this simple dish. It’s great served with smashed golden potatoes.
- 4 pound chuck steak or roast, 2 inches thick
- 1 whole bunch of celery stalks, stalks cut into thirds
- Cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet in salt.
- Once the pan is very hot, sear the meat on both sides.
- Cover the meat with the celery stalks, cover the pan, and lower the heat to simmer.
- Cook until the meat is very tender and separates with a fork. Halfway through cooking, put the celery under the meat to caramelize.
- Slice and serve with the celery and juices on top.