Another childhood favorite. It’s like a classic pot roast but the flavor comes from caramelized celery. My great grandmother taught my mother how to make this simple dish. It’s great served with smashed golden potatoes.
Recipe type: Main
- 4 pound chuck steak or roast, 2 inches thick
- 1 whole bunch of celery stalks, stalks cut into thirds
- Cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet in salt.
- Once the pan is very hot, sear the meat on both sides.
- Cover the meat with the celery stalks, cover the pan, and lower the heat to simmer.
- Cook until the meat is very tender and separates with a fork. Halfway through cooking, put the celery under the meat to caramelize.
- Slice and serve with the celery and juices on top.