Tender chicken in a creamy mushroom and artichoke sauce.
Recipe type: Entree
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 cup Marsala
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ pound cremini or button mushrooms, brushed clean, and cut into slices
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 package frozen artichoke hearts
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- On a plate, stir together the flour, the 1 teaspoon salt and the ½ teaspoon pepper. Turn the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.
- In a large fry pan over medium-high heat, melt 1½ tablespoon of the butter with 1½ tablespoons of the olive oil. Working in batches, add the chicken breasts and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the shallots to the pan and sauté over medium-high heat until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Marsala, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until reduced and thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the broth and oregano and return to a boil.
- Transfer the chicken to a large heavy pot and add the Marsala mixture. Cover the pot, set over low heat and cook until the chicken is opaque throughout and very tender, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large fry pan over high heat, melt the remaining 1½ tablespoons butter with the remaining 1½ tablespoons olive oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté until the edges begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream, bring to a boil, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the pot. Cover and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 30 minutes more. Add the artichokes and cook for 4 minutes more.
- Spoon the mushrooms, artichokes and sauce over the chicken, garnish with lemon and parsley, and serve immediately.