There is nothing more comforting than chicken noodle soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- 3 celery ribs, halved lengthwise, and cut into ½-inch-thick slices
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 quarts chicken stock (homemade or canned)
- 8 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken (or meat from whole roasted chicken)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Place a soup pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme, basil, oregano and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender.
- Fold in the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through; season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.