Recipe type: Cream
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup (115 gr.) sugar
- 4 tbsp. (50 gr.) flour
- 2 cups (5 dl.) milk
- vanilla bean
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- finely crushed macaroons
- The amount of eggs, flour and sugar depends on the use of the cream, whether it is to be mixed with other sweet elements like praline, for instance, whether it is to fill a pie or cream puffs or a genoise.
- Follow individual recipe.
- This is based on the average quantities, but the method of preparing it is the same, whatever quantities are used.
- In a heavy saucepan scald the milk with the vanilla bean, cut in half lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and the sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the sifted flour.
- (Remove the vanilla bean and discard.)
- Stir in the hot milk.
- Put the mixture back in the pan over the heat.
- Cook as rapidly as possible, stirring constantly with a wire whisk or a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Boil one minute in order to cook the flour.
- Cool immediately by pouring it on a flat dish and dabbing some butter to prevent skin forming.
- When lukewarm, stir in, if desired, the softened butter.
- (Sprinkle with crushed macaroons.)