Recipe type: Batter
Serves: 1 Layer Cake
- 1 cup (115 gr.) flour
- 4 tbsp. butter, clarified
- 3 large eggs or 3 eggs and 2 yolks
- ½ cup (115 gr.) sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla or grated rind of 1 orange or 1 lemon
- Preheat oven at 325 F. (175 C.)
- Brush 1 10-inch round mold or a 9 x 9-inch square mold with melted butter.
- Sprinkle some flour and shake off the excess.
- In a mixing bowl, on a bain-marie, beat the sugar and eggs to warm the mixture.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Take of the heat and beat with electric mixer at high speed for 8 minutes and at low speed for 15 minutes until mixture is cool and light.
- It must form the ribbon when the beaters are lifted.
- Add the flavoring.
- While the mixture is beating, clarify the butter and sift the flour twice.
- With a rubber spatula, fold the flour into the egg mixture in 3 batches.
- While folding the last batch, add the melted butter which should be barely tepid.
- This operation should be done quickly.
- Pour the batter in the cake pan and bake about 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched with the tip of a finger.
- Run a knife around the cake to loosen it, unmold and cool on a cake rack,.