Le Fonds Bruns Pour Sauces
Recipe type: Stock
Serves: 2 quarts
Brown stocks for sauces
- For brown veal stock: 4lbs veal bones OR:
- For brown beef stock: 2 lbs veal bones, 2 lbs beef bones OR:
- For brown chicken stock: 2 lbs chicken backs and necks
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley)
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 quarts water
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup dry white wine
- In a roasting pan put the bones or chicken pieces, add the carrots, celery, onion, bouquet garni and garlic and roast in a very hot oven at 450°F (240°C) until very brown, stirring pieces occasionally.
- Transfer into stock pot the bones and vegetables, strained of fat
- Add peppercorns, water, wine and tomato paste and bring to a boil.
- Skim carefully, put a lid on and simmer slowly for 2 hours, without salt
- Strain the stock through a chinois
- Chill and skim off all fat.
- Strain again through a cheese cloth, being careful not to pour the deposit at the bottom of the pot.
- Can be kept a few days in the refrigerator or can be frozen.