A delicious Hungarian staple that my kids love.
Lecso (Hungarian Green Pepper and Tomato Stew)
Recipe type: Main
- 3-3¼ pounds green peppers and/or gipsy peppers
- 1¼ pounds fresh tomatoes
- 1½ cups onion
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Salt to taste
- Cut the peppers lengthwise into slices. Quarter the tomatoes. Cut the onions into rings and then cut rings in halves.
- Use a large saucepan so the vegetables will not be too crowded. Fry the onions in the bacon fat.
- Add the paprika, stir in the peppers, tomatoes and salt.
- Cook over high heat until water has evaporated, and then cover and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Lecso can be used as a side dish, or as a meal if frankfurters, smoked Hungarian sausages, boiled potatoes, or even scrambled eggs are added.