Meringue Italienne/Italian Meringue
Recipe type: Meringue
- 6 egg whites (about ¾ cup)
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup water
- Have the whites at room temperature and bowl free of grease.
- Beat whites until half stiff, preferably by hand with a wire whisk and in copper bowl.
- Add a little bit of the sugar and the vanilla.
- Beat until very stiff and glossy.
- Blend in the rest of the sugar with a rubber spatula.
- In the meantime, preferably in a copper pan, cook the sugar with 1 cup water until the soft ball stage or 236 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Pour this syrup immediately into the whites, beating constantly until cool.
- Meringue Italiene can be made several hours ahead and kept in the refrigerator for several days.