Our family loves this salad with Moroccan meals. The flavors are amazing.
Moroccan Tomato and Pepper Salad (Slata)
Recipe type: Salad
- 4 lbs. green bell peppers (about 8 to 10 depending on the size)
- One 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, drained or 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes (about 4 to 6, depending on the size)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 5 sprigs fresh curley parsley, leaves chopped
- Put the peppers on a hot grill, turning them as they get charred, or put them in a 450-degree oven for about 20 minutes. Using tongs transfer the peppers to a plastic bag and seal it. When they are cool, peel them, and remove the seeds and stems.
- If using fresh tomatoes, bring a pot of water to a boil. Plunge the tomatoes into the boiling water for a minute or two, remove with a slotted spoon, and cool in a bowl of ice water. When cool enough to handle, peel off and discard the skin.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Roughly chop the fresh tomatoes or the canned, if using, and peppers, and add them with the coriander seeds, cumin, and salt to taste, to the frying pan. Cook slowly, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in the the lemon juice and sprinkle with the fresh parsley. Serve as a salad or appetizer.