Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini, has a pleasantly bitter flavor that is a great contrast to the sweet pork sausage in the sauce. Prepare this dish in cool-weather months, when broccoli rabe is in season.
Pasta With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
Recipe type: Main
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage,
- casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan (4 ounces)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking
- it up with a spoon, until it’s no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth and red pepper and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and simmer, covered, until
- tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the butter and Parmesan and cook, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 to 2
- Toss the pasta with the sausage mixture and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.