Yum! Great served as a main dish or to accompany osso bucco. I tell the kids this is like Italian mac and cheese.
Risotto alla Milanese
Recipe type: Side
- 1 medium onion, chopped extremely fine
- 1 pound Italian Arborio rice (2¼ cups)
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- extra grated Parmesan cheese to serve
- In a heavy pan melt half the butter, sauté the onion until just starting to color, then add the rice.
- Stir the rice until well impregnated with the butter. Do not color.
- Pour in the wine and let it evaporate. While the wine is evaporating, bring the broth the a simmer and keep it simmering until the risotto is finished.
- Add the broth to the rice by about ½ cup at a time and adding broth as the rice dries. Stirring to prevent sticking.
- Steep the saffron in a little of the hot broth for 5 minutes.
- After about 30 minutes of cooking, taste the rice for seasonings of salt and pepper, then with a fork stir the rice until creamy, add the saffron, the rest of the butter and the cheese.
- Serve with additional cheese if desired.