Recipe type: Sauce
For fish, eggs and boiled vegetables.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pepper, coarsely ground
- ¼ cup water
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup (225 gr.) butter, clarified
- juice of 1 lemon
- Reduce the vinegar and pepper by boiling to 1 teaspoon.
- When tepid proceed like for the Béarnaise sauce.
- The faster and more vigorously the beating, the lighter will be the sauce.
- It should be the consistency of thick cream.
- If hollandaise curdles, it can be started again by stirring bit by bit the curdled sauce into 1 tbsp. of warm water over very low heat.
- If the eggs have formed granules, the sauce is irretrievable and should be discarded.
- Serve warm.